Back Pain at Work:
- 119.8 million
days of certified incapacity in 1996/7
- 63,793 work related back accidents/injuries
- 452,300 work related back illnesses
Highest Incidences in:
- Nursing, construction, agriculture,
retail, food and water industries.
- Cost to industry in lost production - at least £6
- Cost to NHS - £480 million p.a.
Sample - Nurses:
- 80,000 nurses back injured annually
- 3,600 nurses invalided out each year
- Highest compensation paid to nurse £450,000 plus
- Cost of replacement nurse training, minimum £30,000.